Exasperdating | Mr Wet Lettuce
I’ve always had a bit of thing for fellas with salt and pepper hair. Granted, this guy’s barnet was more on the salty side, but it just made him look all the more distinguished. And the fact he was a piano-playing music teacher was a big plus point, too. I’ve always been in awe of people who can tinkle the ivories (learning to play the clarinet at school was a major-league error on my part – it’s really hard to sing along at the same time).
Now, I should mention something quite important at this point. When I spotted this guy’s online profile, I couldn’t help but think ‘I know you from somewhere’. I actually asked him outright if we’d met before, but the closest we could get to crossing paths was that we used to go to the same nightclub years ago. Anyhow, the date had the potential to be good – a riverside walk with takeaway coffees on a sunny Sunday afternoon.
However, it wasn’t long before I realised this guy was a bit beige – he really didn’t have much to say for himself. Our rendezvous finished rather bizarrely with him taking me to a Marks & Spencer food hall. I had to follow him around while he loaded up his shopping basket for his dinner. Hardly the stuff of a romantic encounter.
Just before we parted company – somewhere near the cucumbers – I had another I’m-sure-I-know-you moment. “So you used to go to Ghetto nightclub?”, I quizzed. “Well, once or twice. And not really through choice. A guy I dated used to drag me down there.” All of a sudden the supermarket shelves melted around me, my insides churned in exam-style panic, and an invisible film camera whizzed down the aisle towards me for that penny-dropping close-up. OH. MY. GOD. This guy used to go out with my best friend! How could I have forgotten? Fair-dos, it was really going back some, but it was me that had branded him Mr Wet Lettuce.
- Exasperdating | Giraffe Man (monsieurtorres.wordpress.com)
- Capaldi, Copycats & (Tenuous) Exasperdating (monsieurtorres.wordpress.com)
- Heatwaves, Bomb Shelters & More Exasperdating (monsieurtorres.wordpress.com)
- Zone 2, Frogs & ‘Exasperdating’ (monsieurtorres.wordpress.com)
- Joint Accounts, Vodkas & Hostess Trolleys (monsieurtorres.wordpress.com)
- Exasperdating No.3 (monsieurtorres.wordpress.com)
- Exasperdating | Tooth Fairy (monsieurtorres.wordpress.com)
- Exasperdating | Posh Doc (monsieurtorres.wordpress.com)