The 23rd November. If this date isn’t already highlighted in your diary, stop what you’re doing, grab a big red marker pen and circle it immediately. Reason being, that’s the day you’ll need to stay at home, take the phone off the hook and settle down to watch the box – albeit from behind the sofa.
In case you don’t know, the 23rd November will mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. To celebrate this milestone, the BBC is airing a special episode exactly half a century since the show’s first outing back in 1963.
I noticed today the Beeb announced the daleks will be wheeled out of the props cupboard for this commemorative romp. But it’s not just those malevolent pepper pots that will be making a welcome return to our screens – David Tennant and Billie Piper will resume their roles as the Tenth Doctor and Rose.
All this Whovian hoopla got me thinking about another special date involving David Tennant – only this one is of the romantic variety and happens to include me…
Exasperdating | Tardis Boy
Job: Graphic Designer
Right, I’m going to fess up. I’m a closet geek. I’m a comic book-reading, Sci-fi Channel-loving nerd. And my drug of choice? Doctor Who. I mean, what’s not to like about a 950-year-old alien who flits around the universe in an old phone box?
Now, it’s my love of the dalek-battling Time Lord that kind of inspired this date. Normally, I wouldn’t entertain meeting up with someone who doesn’t live in London (this guy was based in Brighton) but I made an exception on this occasion. Why? Because this fella was the spitting image of David Tennant. So much so, in fact, that when I first met him I was slightly awe-struck and had to repress the urge to ask for an autograph.
Anyhow, once I’d got past the uncanny resemblance – and downed a couple of vodkas – I had a really fun night which included drinks at a jazz bar and then a bit of a snog-ette. The night ended with him catching the very last train home at stupid o’clock in the morning.
The next day I texted him. Nothing. I dropped him another text the following day. Still nothing. I couldn’t believe it. Everything had gone so well but now this guy had gone to ground. Ah well. That’ll teach me to date outside of my London bubble. And besides, what’s David Tennant doing these days, anyway? Oh, hai Matt Smith!
- Daleks to terrorise Doctor once more (bbc.co.uk)
- Daleks RSVP Doctor Who’s 50th anniversary special (guardian.co.uk)
- Exterminate! The Daleks to return for Doctor Who 50th anniversary special (independent.co.uk)
- Daleks to return in Doctor Who anniversary episode (metro.co.uk)
- Dr Who faces the Daleks (again) for 50th anniversary special (thetimes.co.uk)
- Doctor Who: Daleks return for 50th anniversary (telegraph.co.uk)
- Daleks return to Who (thesun.co.uk)
- New Doctor Who star to be unveiled (bbc.co.uk)
- Tennant was afraid he wouldn’t be invited to Doctor Who’s birthday bash (breakingnews.ie)
- 12th ‘Doctor Who’ Actor To Be Revealed On Live Sunday Special (contactmusic.com)